Reusable glass, stainless steel, bamboo or silicone straw, which one is really the best? And, which one suits you?
We've tried reusable glass, stainless steel, bamboo and silicone straws to find out the pro's and con's with each, simply so you don't have to.💁♀️
Since we're specialising in reusable glass straws you can probably guess which one is our favourite. However, we've tried to be completely non-biased in this test to help you find what reusable straw alternative will suit you the best.
Tick off the statements that align with your lifestyle. The reusable straw with the most plus is the one for you!
Stainless Steel Straws
+ DURABLE. Are you known as being super clumsy? Oh well, stainless steel is super durable so you don't have to worry about breaking it.
+ & - HEAT/COLD. Stainless steel straws are affected by the temperature of the drink which means a cold drink will feel even cooler when sipped through a steel straw. NOTE: This could be both a pro or con depending on your preference.
- HYGIENE. Are you a bit of a clean-freak? Stainless steel straws can collect bacteria. Simply, because you can't see through them which means cleaning the straw properly can be tricky. You just can't tell if they're 100% clean or not.
+ & - HEAT/COLD. Stainless steel straws are affected by the temperature of the drink, which means a cold drink will feel even cooler when sipped through a steel straw. NOTE: This could be both a pro or con depending on your preference.
- TASTE. Are you picky about the taste of your drink? Steel can have a tendency to leave a "metallic" taste which can affect the taste of the drink.
- TEETH SENSITIVITY. The feeling of metal on the teeth can (for some people) be quite uncomfortable.
+ PRICE. Are you a bit of a tight arse when it comes to money? Bamboo is the cheapest reusable straw alternative on the market.
+ DURABLE. Same as with the stainless steel straw, bamboo is a relatively durable material which means they're not very easy to break.
+ CHILD SAFE. Bamboo straws are softer compared to the stainless steel or glass straws which means they're safer for children to use.
+ HEAT/COLD. Do you have sensitive teeth or lips? Bamboo straws are not affected by the temperature of the drink which means you won't burn or freeze yourself by using the straw.
- TASTE. Bamboo straws can leave a "wooden" taste on your drink.
- HYGIENE. If hygiene is something you value high we wouldn't recommend the bamboo straw. Bamboo is not see-through which means you can't see if the straw is clean or not. However, the main reason the bamboo is the least hygienic alternative is because it's a wooden material and it will collect bacteria over time.
- LIMITED LIFESPAN. Like we just mentioned, bamboo will collect bacteria over time. This means that you won't be able to keep on using the straw forever as it will need to be replaced eventually.
+ PRICE. Silicone is one of the cheaper reusable straw alternatives.
+ SAFETY. Do you like chewing on the straw? The silicone straw is the only straw for you! As you wouldn't want to chew on any of the other reusable alternatives. This also makes the straw safe for young children.
+ VARIETY OF COLOURS. Silicone straws come in a variety of different colours making them fun and suitable for kid's birthday parties.
- TASTE. Silicone tastes a bit "rubbery" which can create a quite unpleasant drinking experience.
- HYGIENE. Same as with the bamboo and stainless steel straws, you can't see through silicone which means it's harder to make sure they've been cleaned properly. The structure of the silicone also makes it easier for the residue to get stuck inside the straw.
- QUALITY. Silicone is a material that will decrease in quality over time. This means you won't be able to keep on using a silicone straw indefinitely.
+ HYGIENE. As you can see through a glass straw you can always make sure that it is clean. Plus, the glass makes it hard for substances to get stuck inside the straw making it the most hygienic reusable straw alternative.
+ TASTE. Glass is a neutral material meaning the glass straw will never affect the taste of your drink. Glass is the only reusable straw alternative that you can be sure won't affect the taste of your drink.
+ HEAT/COLD. Borosilicate glass straws are heat resistant and won't be affected by the temperature of the drink. This means that you won't burn or freeze yourself by using a glass straw.
+ THE "FEELING". There's a luxurious feeling about sipping through a glass straw.
- BREAKABLE. Glass can break so you'll need to be more careful when looking after a glass straw.
- NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN. Young children are not recommended using glass straws for the simple reason that it is a glass product and it could break.
- PRICE. Glass is the most expensive material compared to its reusable friends which means the price for the glass straw will be more expensive.
Hopefully this information cleared up any question marks surrounding what reusable straw is the best for you. If glass straw was the winner, you know where to find it.😉