Wildfires and flooding are currently around us here in Australia so many of us may find it difficult to get into a romantic mood. It can be especially difficult when we see all the plastic that sells in shops to mark the occasion, all of which contributes to the climate crisis we face.
Taking our zero waste products with us on our romantic picnics and Valentine's Day dates can certainly help us become part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
But, what else can we do to fight the climate catastrophe this February? These eco-friendly Valentine's Day ideas should help:
Eco-Friendly Valentine's Day Cards and Gifts
- 💐 Pick your own flowers rather than buying hothouse or imported flowers in plastic.
- 🌻 Better yet, gift living plants instead. Buy your loved one a beautiful houseplant, a tree, or a herb garden for their windowsill so they can start growing their own.
- 🎁 Consider taking a DIY approach, and making your own card and gift. For example, you can make your own card – including some recycled paper. When it comes to gifts, you might make your own natural soaps or beauty products, eco-friendly beeswax candles, hand-crafted wooden items, woven wicker pieces, pottery, jewellery, knitwear or clothes. You might also make your own edible treats for your loved one, rather than buying chocolates or other treats wrapped in plastic packaging from a store. These are just a few examples.
- Gift second hand or vintage items rather than buying new things.
- 🌿 Give items to help them on the road to a more sustainable way of life.
- 🚣♂️ Give experiences rather than things. Gift experience days, tours or activities, or simply make experiences with your loved ones on the most amazing date ever.
Eco-Friendly Valentine's Day Date Ideas
- 🌽 Head to a local farmers' market or pick-your-own farm to select delicious ingredients together for your evening meal.
- 📜 Go antiquing or even head to a junkyard to find cool things to upcycle together for your home.
- ✏️ Take on an art, upcycling or crafting project together. Working together to create something functional and beautiful can be a great way to get closer.
- 🏡 Stay home and have the perfect night in. Make your delicious meal with fresh, local, organically grown produce.
- 🌓 Head out to enjoy the wonders of the natural world and its wildlife. Stroll to a beautiful viewpoint or picnic spot and watch the sunrise or the sunset together, or simply sit and enjoy the view.
- 🏄🏼♀️ Enjoy adrenaline-fuelled activities out in nature. Get your heart's thumping as one. Hike, bike, climb, go white water rafting, surf some big waves... the list goes on.
- 🏕 Consider a romantic overnight camping trip. An eco-friendly way to get away from it all could be just what you and your loved one need.
This Valentine's Day, show your love for the planet and for all of humanity by considering these eco-friendly Valentine's Day ideas.